Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

What Britain means to me......

and why I am attracted to her are questions that are often put to me. I suppose it takes a certain style/taste to be a Britophile, and I have been known to like things that other people hate, such as wearing cowgirl boots for long periods of time and shaking pepper on my food as if it were salt! Some things you either love or hate, but they demand some extreme reaction from you. It's almost as if you're a magnet from one pole or the other, and certain things must either attract or repel you. Britain tends to be one of those things.

     British history and culuture is replete with subtle complexities and glaring paradoxes. It is all too easy for some people to disregard it as something arhaic and autocratic, in which all the main players are people dominated by a strong conviction of their own worthiness and who conquered the world to get away from their own rainy skies and bad cooking. The stereotype is found everywhere in books, films, and musical interpretations. Some Americans, especially  those of strong Irish ancestry, tend to bask in it. It's a feel-good mechanism employed to justify our origins and glorify our short yet shimmering history and whipper-snapper cultural style.

     Apparently, Brits and Yanks have an uncanny knack for rubbing each other the wrong way sometimes, especially when they are tourists in each other's countries. Some Brits come off as being sanctimonious snobs who look down on Americans for being up-starts, while some Yanks come off as being nosy nut-cases who look down on the British for being so straight-laced. But perhaps this is more due to cultural differences than intentional nastiness. Americans tend to be more out-going in general, while Brits tend to be more reserved in their manners and reactions. But of course, generalizing a race of people is pretty futile in the end. Each person is his/her own person.

     I set out on a mission to meet people from the UK several years ago. In the course of this, I have made good friends and discovered that the stereotypical approach to understanding the British people is just as silly as the stereotypical approach to understanding the American people. I have met a varied array of ordinary folks from Britain, including an engineer, a book-keeper, a journalist, a butler, a political bloggist, historical society archivists, and Anglican vicars. They are anything but cookie-cutter images of each other. Some are extrovert, and some our introvert. But overall, I have come off with the impression that they are a hard-working, intelligent, funny, caring, and passionate lot, quite the opposite of stereotypical stiffs that the British are "supposed to be".

    Furthermore, they lend life to the historical and political concepts that I have emmersed myself in. All that can be dismissed as ink-on-paper, but these people are real and their sentiments are real. Talking with them about their history and heritage makes one begins to understand that Britain is not some abstract demension accesible only in ancient tomes, but a beloved "home" and national identity. When talking with my Scottish engineer friend about the Napoleonic wars, he interjected enthusiastically, "Now that was a time of glory!" You would have thought that Napoleon had only been haulted at Waterloo several years ago, for his pride in the event was as strong as ever. When talking to the butler about the military career of General Thomas Gage, the ancestor of his employer, he trumpeted, "He was in the same campaign with General Wolfe on the Plains of Abraham." Again, the way he said it made one think that Wolfe had just been buried and hype of the victory was still in the air.

    This sense of national pride, I have found, is not limited to historical nostalgia. There is a real determination among many to confront the problems in British society and change things for the better. Also, there is real sense of self-understanding that varies in its range of depth. My book-keeper friend gave me his philosophical summary: "I've always seen my heritage as one of a thoughtful, measured, civilized, yet firm approach to tolerance, fairness, liberty, and the rule of law. We don't submit to tyrants; but we don't have blood-in-the-streets revolutions either....although we do occasionally riot and decapitate our king!" My engineer friend stated, "Many people are proud of their British identities. We are not especially vocal about it - that would be quite un-British indeed - but that doesn't mean it's not there."

    And these people aren't just chattering - they mean it and many of them are working to better their society and serve they're country, in all ways, grand and small. The London book-keeper would like to become a barrister. The Glasgow engineer is involved in an outreach program to aid those who work at sea, especially those who come in and out of his native city. The London journalist is involved in all forms of public service operations, from Catholic evangelical ministries to protests against the redefinition of marriage and abortion. The historical society archivists are working to preserve their local history. The Vicars are working to spiritually serve their flock.

    This is merely a microchosm of a forever socially-changing, conflict-ridden Britain, but that doesn't make it any less authentic. These are some of the people that make up the fabric of British society, and they are the ones with whom the future rests. They have helped me clear up the thoughts in my own mind, and assess what Britain means to me and why I love her. Perhaps it is because she is much loved. Blood, sweat, and gold have gone into her, and a panoply of struggles have been fought over her soil, and her people know and appreciate that. There is an appealing rebel streak that emerges beneath the reserved exterior of this place and this state of mind called Britain. It is no paradise, but instead a constant battleground. And that it what causes it to draw in the casual student like a vacume. There is something here to sink one's teeth into. It is the treasure always being sought after; it is the ideal always being reached for. The journey is often just as important as the destination. This is Britain.



This is Britain

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post--it was nice to hear why you love Britain so much. I admit your love has confused me at times, but I think I understand it better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Emerald! I'm glad you liked the post, and I'm glad it helped understand my feelings a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An intriguing post but one that does explain your considerable interest in all things British. Thank you for recognising that all Brits do not all fit the traditional stereotype held by so many Americans.

    Have you been to the UK? If so, what parts have you been to? I am always very conscious of the statistic that 80% of Americans do not hold a passport & have therefore never set foot outside their own country. This lack of travel beyond their own borders does explain the stereotypical views held by so many Americans. Those who have travelled usually hold very different views to those who have not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading, chaplain c.z.

    Although my greatest dream would be to visit the UK, I have never been able to do so and have never been outside the USA in my life :-( If I ever could do so, though, I would the happiest girl south of the Mason-Dixon Line! :-)

    For now, books, films, and the internet are my sources of "travel". How about you? I mean, I know you've traveled and lived outside of Britain, but have you ever been to the USA?

    God Bless,
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books, films and the internet are great sources of information but nothing beats seeing the real thing in person. Become one of the 20% - apply for your passport & seek to travel!

    That having been said, North & South America are the only continent(s) that I haven't set foot on myself. I lived in Australia for nearly five years, travelled overland across Asia from Kathmandu all the way to Istanbul, and have travelled quite extensively in continental Europe. I've also been to North Africa. However, I have numerous American friends who are always making offers of hospitality for when my wife & I finally do make it across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's an amazing amount of traveling you've done! You are a very lucky man to have been able to see so much of the world. If you and your wife come to the good ol' USA, be sure to look me up ;-)

    Well, I agree with your statement that there is nothing that beats "the real thing." But there is a slight hurdle preventing me from becoming one of the 20%....Namely, I don't got no cash!!!

    However, if you would like to make a generous donation to contribute to the would-be Traverlers of America Fund, I would be happy to forward my address to you...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good read, I enjoyed it - perceptions are indeed interesting to consider.

    I was delighted by the Americans during my only visit to the US (Florida) in September 2011.

    To a (wo)man, I found them unfailing polite, helpful, friendly and hard working people. They even won plaudits for being better at understanding my accent than are the home counties English!

    (I only experienced difficulty a few times, once when trying to order a sub (!), and the other when talking to a guy outside a pub).

    My only complaints were the driving on the wrong side of the road, and that the beer was ridiculously weak! It doesn't even state the strength on it, leading me to question whether it was alcoholic at all, haha!

    I was very relieved when I eventually found a dusty box of (imported) Warsteiner Oktoberfest in the corner of a store, with 5.7% ABV stamped on the side! Phew!

    But it was a great place, and I would love to visit again one day.

    ReplyDelete