Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Tragic Romance.....

seemed to be a theme Sir Walter Scott miandered in quite often. He had a talent for blending both the hauntingly sad with the mysteriously unexplainable. In the end, he was even able to project the gallantry and love to such an extent that his works serve as a reminder of the good aspects of human nature against all odds. Here are two tragic poems he either wrote or adapted from earlier border ballads.


Fair Helen of Kirkconnel

I wish I was where Helen Lies.
For nicht and day on me she cries;
For nicgt and day on me she cries.
I wish I was where Helen lies
on fair Kirkconnell lea.
Oh Helen Fair, Oh Helen chaste!
Were I with thee, I would be blest,
Were I with thee I would be blest.
Where thou liest low and at they rest
On fair Kirkconnell lea.

Oh Helen fair, beyond compare
I'll make a garland of thy hair;
I'll make a garland of thy hair;
Wrapt roon' my heart for evermair
Until the day I dee.
But curst the heart that hatch'd the thought,
And curst the hand that fired the shot;
Aye, curst the hand that fired the shot,
When in my arms my Helen dropt,
And died for sake of me.

O think na ye my heart was sair,
My love dropt doun and spake nae mair;
I laid her down with muckle care,
O think na ye my heart was sair
On fair Kirkconnell lea.
For I found my foe behind a wa';
And lichted doun my sword to draw,
Stern was her strike on Kirtle Shaw,
As I hacked him in pieces sma,
For ta'en my love frae me.

I wish I was where Helen lies,
For night and day on me she cries;
I wish I was where Helen lies
On fair Kirkconnell lea.



It Was an English Ladye Bright

It was an English ladye bright,
(The sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,)
And she would marry a Scottish knight,
For Love will still be lord of all.

Blithely they saw the rising sun
When he shone fair on Carlisle wall;
But they were sad ere day was done,
Though Love was still the lord of all.

Her sire gave brooch and jewel fine,
Where the sun shines fair on Carlisle wall;
Her brother gave but a flask of wine,
For ire that Love was lord of all.

For she had lands both meadow and lea,
Where the sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,
And he swore her death, ere he would see
A Scottish knight the lord of all.

That wine she had not tasted well
(The sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,)
When dead, in her true love's arms, she fell,
For Love was still the lord of all!

He pierced her brother to the heart,
Where the sun shines fair on Carlisle wall:--
So perish all would true love part
That Love may still be lord of all!

And then he took the cross divine,
Where the sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,
And died for her sake in Palestine;
So Love was still the lord of all.

Now all ye lovers, that faithful prove,
(The sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,)
Pray for their souls who died for love,
For Love shall still be lord of all!


"My love dropt doun and spake nae mair....."


"For Love will still be Lord of All....."

No comments:

Post a Comment