Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2012

Here are a few announcements.....

that have accumulated over the past few weeks and that I've been meaning to post.

    First, I wish to announce that Rae-Rae and Rosie, the team of clever British teenagers who ran the blog HMS Hitchenbrook, have each started a new blog of their own. Rae-Rae continues to explore important aspects and fascinating incidences that took place in the Royal Navy during the Age of Sail on "The Great Cabin". Of couse, Lord Nelson still looms large as the guiding star for the project. Here's the link for it:  http://thegreatcabin.blogspot.com/

    Rosie has branched off into the broad scope of the Long 18th Century in Britain, France, and beyond. Full of colorful characters from monarchs to musicians, she calls it "The Macaroni Club" in honor of 18th century ladies and gents who really knew how to dress! Here's the link to that:  http://themacaroniclub.blogspot.com/

    Next, I wanted to extend an exuberant congratulations to GWright, my friend from Glasgow, Scotland, and his new bride upon their wedding! They recently returned from their honeymoon in Italy, and I'm still looking forward to oppurtunity of seeing some of their pics from there. Cheers, to ye both, and may you be blessed abundantly in your new married life :-)

    Also, I wanted to ask you all to please pray for the soul a dear friend of our family, Steve B., who passed away this week, the day before Thanksgiving. He suffered from kidney failure some 30 years ago and endured many operations and painful procedures, including having a kidney transplant and a finger amputated. He was being kept alive through dialisis and recently decided to go off of it. He was a truly courageous and Christ-like man who showed love to all those who he met. He used to be both a teacher and a musician, playing Country Music and Gosepl hymns in a band. He was like an uncle to me. Many people will mourn his loss.

     On another note, I would like to say that a certain commenter chose to rudely bash my post about the qualities of a soul-mate and remain anonymous. As I have said in the past, my readers have every right to disagree with me and I welcome respectful dialogue about our differences. However, crude and insulting comments will not be approved. Further, anonymous comments will not be approved unless a name/username is given below letting me know who you are.

    Thanks for reading the announcements! God Bless!



"Hear Ye, Hear Ye...."

9 comments:

  1. Most Excellent Pearl,

    Make no mention of the superannuated boys -- one could hardly call them men -- who project their creepiness and insecurities anonymously on the 'net; they aren't worth it.

    - Mack, who is anonymous because he is quite incompetent with regard to selecting a profile and making it go / work / do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the publicity, Pearl! I look forward to the day when you, me and Rae-Rae are all famous writers of history books! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you're ok. Other than that did you have a good Thanks Giving?

    And forget about the haters! Their rude comments are just a form of attention-seeking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the backing, Mack; I am not opposed to people writing anonymously in general, but I feel better when they at least write out a name/username to indicate who they are. I always welcome your comments :-)

    Good to hear from you at long last, Female Macaroni! You're most welcome for the publicity, and I join you in hoping that the three of us (You, Rae-Rae, and I) will someday become famous historians and tour Europe giving lectures on the long 18th century and the Age of Sail. Hey, well, it's a dream! ;-)

    Hi, Rae-Rae. Thank you for the consolation. We're doing okay, but I may be singing for the funeral this Monday, so that's going to be rather emotionally trying. Please keep me in your prayers.

    As for Thanksgiving, we had a quiet one at home. It was rather untraditonal, as we wound up having a linguini dish instead of the traditional fare! It was good, though, and we relaxed by watching an old Lassie movie called "The Sun Comes Up."

    I agree with you that most online insulters are simply trying to get attention or vent their wrath on the invisible! Thanks for the support :-)

    Blessings,
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sincerest condolences to you and your family about your lost, Pearl.

    A thought comes to mind that maybe an old Scottish Nationalist might have posted the horrible comment, it wouldn't be surprising.

    Take care,
    James.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss, Pearl. I will keep him, along with you and your family, in my prayers.

    - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just reading your blog for the first time, Pearl. It's very good. You're giving my ideas for one of my own! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pearl!

    How are you? Its great to catch up again with your excellent blog and many thanks for the kind mention of the recent nuptials of my wife and I!

    I am pleased to see your readership has continued to expand in my absence - keep up the good work!

    Its a nice feeling being married! We are very happy! Our honeymoon was tremendous and I look forward to the rest of our lives together :-)

    I promise some pics will be forthcoming for your perusal! We have been busy selecting which pictures we wanted for our official album. It was a pleasure to relive the day, made immortal through the camera lens. However, the photographer took about 1,000 photos, so it was quite a slog going through them all to select just 50 for the album! I had to sit through them all - twice - recently, phew!

    We are really pleased with them though and I look forward to hearing what you think of them.

    We are attending another wedding this Saturday - they seem to occur in bunches. It is being held at my old University, in an defunct (protestant) Church building owned by the faculty. It is now used for examinations, graduations and...weddings! There will be some happy memories for Fiona and I - we both graduated in the very same building! (and I always seemed to do very well in the exams I sat there - heavenly intervention?)

    I am sorry to hear about your recent loss of a close family friend. Bereavement is always sad, but we can be consoled by the knowledge that your friend is now enjoying the reward of a virtuous life well lived. I will remember your deceased friend in my prayers, as well as you and your family. I will be thinking of you on Monday and am sure your singing voice at the funeral will be a beautiful and very fitting tribute to the life of your friend.

    Finally, (for now!), I would like to say just ignore any anonymous snarky comments on your blog (like the one you mention). It is sad that some people have nothing to offer but spite, especially when they are not brave enough to openly identify themselves with their comments. How cowardly! But do not let such people get you down - your warm outlook and obvious love of life is far superior to anonymous sniping!

    (I see James postulates it may have been a Scottish nationalist who posted it - if so, s/he is probably just venting about losing the independence referendum in advance haha!)

    Keep an eye out for some photos soon - and don't worry, I wont send all 1,000 of them! ;-)

    Bye for now!
    Graham

    PS - a belated happy thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, all!

    @James: Thank you for your kind words. I doubt it was a Scottish Nationalist this time, but then you never know! I'm really on their list of favorite people ;-)

    @Ellen: We appreciate your prayers, and I'm sure he does too!

    @Shelagh: I'm so glad you like the blog! Feel free to drop by any time, and do let me know if you start one of your own. I'd love to read it!

    @GWright: I'm so glad your marriage/honeymoon went beautifully, and thank you for the pics you sent me via email! As I've mentioned before, I printed out the one of you and your bride standing on the steps of the Piping Center. You look so relaxed after the big event - beer in hand, and all! ;-)

    Thank you for your sympathy concerning our late friend. The funeral went well (as such things go!). I plan on putting up a post reviewing it soon.

    Indeed, anonymous snarky commenters should learn to grow up. Thank you for your compliments and encouragement. I try to be positive in my outlook, even though I do get down sometimes when surveying the state of the world! That's where the grace of God comes in to pull you through.

    God Bless,
    Pearl of Tyburn

    ReplyDelete