Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013

"My Daydream".......

is a poem about nostalgia, the yearning for a time or a place where virtue is made manifest through human endeavor and heavenly intervention turns the tide of events. But the truth is that nostalgia is only put to good use if it makes us work harder to live the virtues we so admire and rely on the Divine Providence our hearts long to believe in.


My Daydream


I want to walk in Avalon and see the Holy Thorn,
I want to hear the silver notes of Locksley’s signal horn,
I want to see the maiden’s hand reach from the misty lake,
I want to smell the pungent scent of Alfred’s burning cakes

I want to join Owain Glyn Dwr in the mountains of Cymru,
I want to see Brave Wallace fight to keep Fair Scotia free,
I want to find the heart of Bruce thrown at the foemen’s lines,
I want to watch Cour de Leon don the crusader's sign  

I want to see the Banner of the Five Wounds flying high,
I want to join the Recusants, so unafraid to die,
I want to meet the Jacobites, who charged across the mire,
I want to watch them rally ‘round a cross of glowing fire *

I want to hear the cannon roar at Nelson’s final fight,
I want to wait at Waterloo for Prussians or the night,
I want to watch the little boats embark across the tide,
I want to see the Spitfires fly fierce with soaring pride

Some of these tales are legends, some truth romanticized,
But none can call them childish, nor cast them off as lies,
For they reflect our searching souls and that for which we strive:
We want to know that heroes fight and God is still alive

These things are real as sunshine that pierces bitter rain,
They give us strength and healing when racked with inner pain,
Though we may not be heroes, nor make daydreams come true,
The virtues that they teach us can live within us, too


* The reference to the “cross of glowing fire” is a reference to a custom used in the Scottish Highlands to rally the clans to battle. It has nothing to do with the perverted practices of the KKK!!!


"I want to see the maiden's hand reach from the misty lake...."




6 comments:

  1. NICE set of fourteeners! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet poem, I have similar yearnings (about other times and cultures though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I know exactly what you mean, though I only know a few of these stories. The mood seems to be similar to that of my "A Wish," which I remember you enjoyed. (It was about the same ideas, but about Middle-earth instead of British legends.)

    "For they reflect our searching souls and that for which we strive:
    We want to know that heroes fight and God is still alive,"

    sort of reflects the same idea as my:

    "I want to go where, however the dark keeps biting more,
    They know there’s good beyond despair, and it’s worth fighting for!
    Let me go where they hold to hope and always do what’s right,
    And, if I must come back, their faith will shine throughout my night."

    You are absolutely right - regardless of whether the stories that inspire us are "true" in the historical sense, what really matters is that they are "true" because they teach us Truth.

    "These things are real as sunshine that pierces bitter rain,
    They give us strength and healing when racked with inner pain."
    I love how you said that! Like my:

    "And let me share their faith – that at last Providence holds sway
    – I know that it will strengthen me when I return someday."

    Although I know next to nothing about British history, your poem helps me appreciate why we love the stories we do, and I enjoyed it very much!

    - Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so a good poet!! I wish I could do it but I don't really have the right brain for it!

    And I loved your little Nelson reference,btw, and all I can say is: me too! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mack: Thanks, poet laureate of "LB&RB"!

    @Carolyn: Yes, I think most of us some such yearnings in one direction or another at some point in our lives! So would your center of desire be Ancient Rome?

    @Katherine: Your marvelous poem about LotR is what inspired me to write a similar one about British history and legend! Would you be willing to let me post your poem up here as well? You could be our "guest poet" of the month!

    @Rae-Rae: I thought you might like the Nelson reference! If we ever get into a time machine, I'll meet you on some deck at Trafalgar! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that would be quite an honor, Pearl! I'm also honored that something I wrote helped inspire you to write something about what inspires you (if that makes any sense). : )
    Your friend,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete