Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

"The Scarborough Man"......

is my take on the two folk songs, "Scarborough Fair" and "I'm 18 Years Old Today". The first is the well-known list of impossible tasks a man lays out for his lover to complete. The second is about a young woman whining about her single state, even though her reasons for wanting to get married are pretty base, focused primarily on the physical! I've decided to the give the whole concept of love and marriage a boost into the higher sphere, with my efforts at a poem below.


The Scarborough Man


Find me a man, oh mother, my dear,
To be my heart’s delight
Find him today at Scarborough Fair
And I’d marry him tonight

He must have warmth enough to smile
Yet bear himself with grace
He must be kind without false guile
And wear an honest face

He must take pains to tend the rose
Though never pluck it out,
Find beauty in the words of prose
But hesitate to shout

Find me a man who can compliment
But never stoop low and lie
Find me a man who can implement
The gifts in his supply

He must have red blood in his veins
To answer the call to arms
He must have strength to hold the reins
And rally the troops in alarm

From prince to pauper, he must speak
Without affected airs,
And yet with words so swift and sleek,
Their might is brought to bear

He must not sink in haughtiness,
Nor feigned humility,
But view himself with keen balance
And strictest honesty

For gentlemen are gentlemen
With known or unknown names;
Their actions earn them men’s esteem
And put the world to shame

Whether lying in a feather bed
Or sleeping on the floor,
A gentleman holds high his head
And none can change the score

If he cannot be all these things,
Let effort be his aim
To coast the storm on tattered wings
To fail, but try again

Then let our hands be intertwined
To grow as vines together
Blind leading lame, lame leading blind
Held fast through any weather

Find me a man, oh mother, my dear,
To be my heart’s delight
Find him today at Scarborough Fair
And I’d marry him tonight


Scarborough Castle 


No comments:

Post a Comment