Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Feast of the Annunciation...

is an important day in the Catholic Liturgy. It is the day we commemorate the Incarnation of Jesus Christ in the Womb of the Virgin Mary, through the power of the Holy Spirit. (As a note from a proud Marylander, it is also the anniversary of the landing of  Lord Baltimore's Catholic English colonists on the shores of Maryland in 1634). There are some beautiful words I would like to share from St. Catherine of Sienna (d. 1380), Doctor of the Church, stigmatic, and papal counselor, reflecting on all this things...


Oh transformed love
Of Lord God servant and creator created
Too much a dark thing it appears
Seeing God so humbled
Thinking of your greatness oh my Lord
The heart lowers itself in the body I shake so
Seeing you mortal man being God
Enclosed in the womb of a poor young girl
My faith turns to nothing
Thinking of your greatness so removed
If not it appears that ease opposed
Crying out God, God, y ou are crazy
And then with enflamed desire
You go searching for who the young woman is
Who in herself enclosed this true Word
With the eyes of the mind a girl
I see she is closed in a cell
Alone worthy of having him
Such a humble daughter
Who joined the lover to the loved
And I looking at this holy Virgin
In whom I see no flaw
Looking at her from her dead down to her feet
So the more I look at her the more she gives me delight
Pregnant in appearence
She shows me and is always with eyes lowered
And I her servant she makes
And I find myself bound by her love.
I see well what commodity and the cost of you
The price that cost you when
The good Jesus was put on the cross for you
In order that he pay for you the infernal banishment
To the heart goes sighing
Looking up at Jesus on the cross and strongly languishing
She looks at the shed blood
With which you were repurchased from death. 


"Hail, Full of Grace..."

No comments:

Post a Comment